20090315

Learning the ropes

I spent some time honing my overview settings. I made tabs for different things, one for navigation (showing the gates and stations and nothing more), one to show everything (so I can find things which are not shown on other tabs) and one for combat. Using the overview to quickly identify and lock targets is so much easier when there's no useless distracting debris in there.

The Knowledge Base and EVElopedia are real treasure troves of EVE knowledge, but digging up what I need to know can take some time. The search function seems to give better results in the wiki, but the knowledge base is far less cluttered with links so the text is easier to read.

There's certainly a steep learning curve involved in this game...



I have learned that scamming and baiting are part of the game experience. All over the market people are trying to sell items at ludicrous prices and buy them at ridiculously low prices and no matter where I go, at some point someone in local chat is trying to trick people into donating him ISK promising they get it back doubled. As if! I have seen a hapless newbie fall for a dirty trick: he took from a container named 'needed for mission' and got shot. Clear-eyed newbies are not safe from pirates either, not even in high security space. I have also seen a wreck of a battleship at a gate and looted large smartbomb modules from it. Losing a battleship, taking a blow in security status and giving someone kill rights was probably worth the loot on that someone's hauler. The space is a very cold place with pirates waiting in front of every safe haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment